I thought for so long on what to title this, but I hope I tried. May is a month known as the mental health awareness month. I decided to make a post to this effect before the month is over. Buckle your seatbelt, its going to be a long read.
C.S. Lewis once said: Mental pain is less dramatic than physical pain but it is more common and also more hard to bear. The frequent attempt to conceal mental pain increases the burden. It is easier to say ‘my tooth is aching’ than to say ‘my heart is broken’.
This struck a chord in me because I actually can relate to what he said. I am grateful for a month such as this where everyone gets to face it, examine themselves, read up on information, and also reach out to everyone. Its no ordinary coincidence that this month also happens to be a time when a lot of states are on lockdown, when Covid19 is happening and lots of persons are getting worried, anxious and sad. Just calm down, we would get past all of this together.
Firstly, I need us to understand that mental health involves our social, emotional and psychological wellbeing amidst other factors. Any part of our lives can affect the way we think, feel, act, thereby affecting our mental health in turn. Our mental health affects how we handle stress, matters arising and even how we relate with family, friends and strangers. Mental health is important not just for adults, but even children, teens, adolescents and the oldies.
Moving on, let me share with you all tips on how to ensure good mental health. They’ve been quite helpful to me personally because I am on a lot of tables, but I’m working and getting better…LOL
• Get a good amount of sleep: Just in case you’re also in the school of thought that you would sleep well when you die, calm down first. Sleep is really good for our mental and physical health. Sleeping well helps manage one’s mood and emotions in fact.
• Eat well: Well, I’m helping myself. The truth is, eating a balanced diet is important for our bodies and more importantly for our minds. Note also that if you’re a very anxious person, cut down on your intake of caffeine. Caffeine could make you easily jittery, nervous or anxious.
• Avoid alcohol, smoking or drugs: Oftentimes, I hear people say that taking these things help them stay calm and without worries. But, at the same time they do more harm than good because for that moment you think you’re relieved but the problems hit you at a higher level and you feel more down, anxious and depressed the next day. Just stay off it.
• Manage stress: To be honest, problems would always arise, so also responsibilities and stress. Just try and manage them, write them out, make schedules for them and leave the rest. That thing you’re getting all worked up about might not even matter the next month, so calm down and tackle issues. If you find that you can’t sleep because of the burdens on your heart, write them down, allocate time to fix them, assure yourself that you would get them fixed the next day and then get your mind off to rest.
• Activity; Exercise; Stay social: Doing things with people and for people has a way of keeping you energetic and pumped up. Do things you love, be sociable, relate with people, talk about anything and everything, trust me it helps. Keeping things bottled up and wanting to save the world alone won’t help. Exercise frequently too, it helps your mind stay strong and healthy.
• Words of affirmation: Focus on the things you’re grateful for, say positive things to yourself, keep saying the things you want to see and they’d come to pass. Worrying doesn’t solve anything dears. Rather than worry, PRAY!
• Walk in love: This works like magic, hold great relationships with your family and members of your inner circle. Help them out with stuff, also in doing that ensure you ain’t just getting dry giving yourself to others. Let them know what’s going on with you. There’s agony in bottled up stories. Talk, share, cry if need be, but never allow your mind stray so far that you forget who you truly are. A strong person, a rare gem, a jewel of inestimable value. I’m forced to add that you’re the liquid and solid metal! If you know, you know…
Its my hope and prayer that you’re staying strong, and healthy this season. Hope I didn’t bore you, if you stayed till the end, do let me know what you think in the comment section below. Also is there any other tip you would like us to know about? Share with us. Like, follow and subscribe dears. I love you all. Do have a blessed day.